Friday, January 10, 2014

A Resolution You Might Actually Keep

Happy Friday, Friends! January is well underway, and many peoples' New Year's resolutions have already been tossed by the wayside (it's not too late to jump back on that train, people - I know you can do it!). 

I've never been a huge fan of resolutions, though my boyfriend and I have been embarking on a series of "January Food Challenges" over the past 3 years which have pushed our culinary skills, not to mention, self-discipline. January 2012 brought a month of vegetarianism, while January 2013 was a month-long gluten-free diet. This year I proposed we do something really crazy to push our limits, so alas, we've forgone booze for the month. Seriously, though, I will be okay, though I admit that our hankering for beer has us planning to purchase some of the non-alcoholic version, just so we can pretend.

Today I thought I would share some resolutions of a slightly lighter nature: Jewellery Resolutions. I'm sure, after all, that we can all make a small change to either push our fashion comfort zone a bit further or drop those bad habits that we just don't feel like breaking. (Mine? I store my jewellery in my street shoes when I'm doing barre class. Safekeeping? Perhaps. But nonetheless, not the best place to keep delicate, pretty things). Here are a few ideas for your own 2014 Jewellery Resolution:

In 2014 I will...

  • Take off my jewellery before bed, no matter how lazy or tired I am.
  • Decide that maybe I can wear silver/gold after all, even though I always say it doesn't suit me.
  • Put my jewellery in a safe place when I'm done wearing it (no more leaving it on the bathroom counter/bedside table/shoes *cough*)
  • Treat myself to a special piece that I've been eying up forever. Just because.
  • Try a jewellery look I've been afraid I can't pull off (layered necklaces? a major arm stack? mismatched earrings? statement necklace?)
  • Wear backings on my earrings - no more earring singletons.
  • Not wait for a special occasion to wear that really sparkly/bold/expensive piece of jewellery - today's the day! 

As for me? I have a bit of a strange discomfort wearing a necklace and earrings at the same time. I know, it's sort of bizarre, but I just end up feeling like it's somehow overwhelming, that there's way too much happening in a small frame of vision. I've been working my way around these feelings though, striking a compromise with myself that it's okay to wear both, as long as the earrings are tiny and/or the necklace is long, so there isn't too much jewellery action in too close of proximity. So for me, I'm resolving to get past my "issues" around earrings worn with necklaces - with the help of a good jewellery therapist of course. I'll let you know how I go :)

What's your resolution, jewellery-related or otherwise? Leave a comment below - I'd love to hear!








Like this post? Sign up below to stay up-to-date with the latest.

* indicates required

No comments:

Post a Comment