Monday, February 04, 2013

A Word on Jewellery Care

Hello lovely readers! 

Today I thought I would take a moment and say a few words about caring for your favorite jewels. I was inspired to write this post after getting a call from one of my customers who was very sad to report that one of her bracelets from my collection had broken. I told her I would be happy to repair the piece for her and was thrilled to hear how much she loved this particular piece. Very much, she answered, "though I guess I probably shouldn't wear it to bed." Oh dear...

Can I just say, ladies, please don't wear your favorite jewellery to bed! Okay, your wedding rings I can make exception for, but really, if you want your pieces to live a long and happy life - and not strangle yourself with your necklace while sleeping - it's really not the best idea. I have one girlfriend who told me she loves one of her Keltie Leanne Designs necklaces so much, she wears it in the shower (just, no...don't do that). So, a few words on this topic:

1.) Gemstones are delicate! - some of them are quite soft, and if faced with certain stressors they can discolor, or fracture or dull. I'm not saying to keep your jewellery under lock and key, but unnecessary elements like soap, excessive sunlight, water (especially chlorinated pool or saltwater) are just, well, unnecessary. Same goes for metals, like gold fill and sterling silver. Check out my post here, on a simple jewellery storage trick to keep your pieces in tip top shape.

 2.) If you wear your jewellery while playing sports, sleeping or otherwise engaging in er, frisky behavior, they are liable to get damaged. So take a minute and leave that pretty gemstone pendant in your locker when sweating it out at the gym.

3.) Handmade and high quality materials does not mean invincible. Yes, we take every step necessary to ensure that Keltie Leanne creations are resilient and will last under normal wear and tear. But this does not mean that that long, delicate chain necklace you love so much, can withstand the same sort of abuse that a more sturdy accessory, like a metal cuff, might handle. Remove scarves with care (I've heard a couple of sad scarf vs. necklace stories lately, and let's just say that scarf won), and un-do the clasps on your bracelets rather than rolling them over your hand to remove them - even if it fits.

4.) The backings that come with your earrings are not just "part of the packaging" (as one customer mistakenly thought). All of our earrings come with a pair of backings that we suggest wearing, to help prevent losing them. You can also pick up a package for a few dollars at your local bead or craft store - Country Beads on West 4th in Vancouver carries them.

So how are your own jewellery care habits measuring up? Do you treat your favorite pieces with love, or do you have your own jewellery neglect stories you'd care to share?

PS - One time I lost one of my all-time favorite sterling silver bracelets...only to find it one year later in the washing machine door sealant. Surprisingly, it was not as clean as you might imagine.


3 comments:

  1. Fabulous article- thank you for sharing this, as a jewelry designer I can appreciate ALL OF THE ABOVE...and a lot of the time it's friend's and family that are the "culprit wear-to-bed" clients!
    Thanks again for a great read, I will make sure to add a link to your article on my site! THIS IS SO IMPORTANT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you so much, Sarah! I really appreciate your feedback and it's so lovely of you to share on your site :) I just checked out your own website because your name sounded familiar, and I actually remember seeing and loving your art work in the Agro Cafe on Granville Island like, 4 years ago! Keep it up, lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Keltie! That's so wonderful! I have another show at Granville Island Waterfront Theatre Feb 18th- April 28th! Love your jewelry, and thanks again for the great read, it is now posted here:
    http://www.sarahmulder.com/news

    (also I just modified my care info with a some tips from your article!)

    ReplyDelete